Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hello, World!

Before the advent of Web 2.0 and other digital shenanigans, people actually read newspapers and collected magazines. People watched local television and didn't have to worry about seeing crap because the networks aired shows that actually tested the audience's intelligence. Good quality programs...don't we all miss them? Whenever Tiny Toons was on, we kids could sing to its tune:

"We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney, and in this cartooney we're invading your TV!"

And we actually listened to Captain Planet, because after all, he's the hero/gonna take pollution down to zero. Haha, good old cartoons.

Back then it was cool to have a pager strapped on your side, but it wasn't necessary and it was okay to finish high school without them. And it was more fashionable and sweet to exchange handwritten letters. I was once a sucker for that.

Boybands were in and it was cute then for guys to carry on with the boy band look--white shirts with baggy pants and extra large windbreakers in arresting primary colours. Every guy wanted to look like Nick Carter, and it was fine.

We played Nintendo Family Computer but only for a couple of hours--afternoons were best spent outside the house, chasing one another in a game of tag.

I even remember dozing off to Doogie Howser's theme, at night. When you really think about it, he was the first ever blogger--offline blogger, that is. He wrote about the day's experience on his computer. That was classic. It was also Doogie Howser MD that made me want my own PC.

Fast forward now, and I believe life is zoooooming in at a really fast pace. Sometimes I look back at the past decade and miss how simple things were before. Sometimes things are just so quick and instant right now that I feel like I'm having a hard time catching up with stuff. That has got be bad, because I'm only 24.

And I digress from my real purpose.

You may be asking, what's with the drama? This isn't drama, my friends. This is actually a sudden impulse to start blogging. You see, I renovated one of the areas in our house to turn it into my own room. As I was clearing stuff that were probably piled for two decades already, I came across a large stack of old magazines that date back to the 90s. What got me interested in these magazines were the ads--good old print advertising that most probably didn't make use of Photoshop. Ergo, the quality, the perfection, the shoot-reshoot that took a lot of time. This made the best photographers stand out from mediocrity. It's got to be hard when you're shooting on film with no means of getting the instant fixes. More solid colours, less of the gradient. Heavier copies--there is no such thing as a one-liner. Things had to be explained, even if it meant putting a paragraph there. The consumer has to know the ingredients. The reader has to know how the product works. It worked that way because people weren't that interrupted. People could focus better. People could read, watch, listen to what a product has to say.

See? You get a feel of the big difference of then and now. Well, just join me in the old school ride, as I post the ads I got from the magazines. Sooner or later I'll be running out of ads to post but what the heck, this should be fun to share, and I never would have hesitated to start this. :)

See you round round round!

No comments:

Post a Comment